Top Autumn Lipstick Shades

Saturday, April 25, 2015



It's Autumn! Our favourite time of the year as the weather is almost perfect (for us) and the days aren't boiling hot, it's almost time to spark up the wood fire and pull out the Winter woolies. Although the weather can be unpredictable around the months of March, April and May your makeup doesn't have to be. We want to share our top lipstick shades for Autumn.

It's Berry Nice; Chi Chi have it down when it comes to creamy matte lipsticks. The cooler weather can dry out your skin and welcome chapped lips. The Viva La Diva range are creamy and hydrating, yet matte! These richly coloured lipstick contain Beeswax, Vitamin E, Calendula, Evening Primrose and Jojoba Oils. It's a concoction for luscious lips which will glide on with ease. Pictured is the colour 'Turn Me On'. I'm obsessed with darker lips throughout the cooler months, obviously as the weather chills our makeup and fashion palettes become darker and more defined. I love pairing a berry lip with colour blocking, try an all white outfit with a pop of 'Turn Me On' on the lips and a thick pair of shades (those UV's don't stop in Autumn).

 Revlon Super Lustrous in Berry Couture is an amazing berry shade for those who enjoy the purples of Autumn. I can compare the range to MAC's Glaze in how it applies, they feel and look very similar. You can get away with one coat for a tint to the lips or apply a fuller coverage and get a more rich application. I adore berry shades, I find they suit just about everyone and if you choose one with blue tones it alludes that your teeth are whiter (tricky). It doesn't just resembled the texture of a glaze, it stays for hours and is very hydrating on the lips.

MAC It Out: My MAC lipstick collection consists mostly of darker colours, I went through a faze. Lustres are my favourite MAC lipstick formula, they're not as opaque as the Amplified range but they still pack a punch.

 Last Winter I purchased the colour 'Spice It Up!' - partly because it reminds me of Sporty Spice from the Spice Girls, just me? It's more of a muddy nude/cinnamon colour, the formula is glossy and hydrating. The Lustre range doesn't last very long but it's perfect if you're okay with reapplying for moisture purposes throughout the day.

I had my eye on Hot Tahiti for months before I purchased it. It's not glossy, but it's not matte. Think of a glazed ham.. this is a pinker version, texture and all. I suppose that's why it's part of the 'Glaze' collection at MAC. Hot Tahiti is the all round colour, all day, all night and all year. It's not limited to Saturday nights, I adore wearing this to Sunday brunches or even the office. It's surprisingly long wearing for a glaze, I was under the impression it wouldn't last an hour! It proved me wrong and the colour lasted well over 3 hours between my morning coffee and onto Lunch where I had to reapply. 

Looking for something more Amplified? See what I did there. From the Amplified range I choose 'Dubonnet'. This applies similar Chi Chi's 'Turn Me On'. It's much more creamy and applies smoothly. I am fascinated by this dark burgundy brick wall colour. I haven't had problems with it bleeding on my lips and it's very opaque. If you have pale skin, red hair and trouble finding something which doesn't clash I suggest testing Dubonnet out because it looks amazing on me when I'm not tanned (I don't have red hair, I have Auburn accents to my hair). Dubonnet wears off somewhat evenly, it doesn't leave that 'ring' around the lip line at least. I find it lasts at least four hours (drinking through a straw on a Saturday night) before you need to reapply. 


Reds For Richies: On a budget buy check out the ELF Matte Lip Color Collection, they have a range of colours and I now own them all if you would like a full review on the collection. Pictured is Rich Red, the packaging isn't crash hot and this lipstick has already broken inside the tube so it falls out sometimes. Having mentioned that the product is awesome. It's a vibrant, opaque red which lasts over three hours on me. I like to take these out clubbing with me as they're only $3 (iHerb.com) and it doesn't matter if they get lost. As it's like a pencil it's easy to apply without having to line the lips first. It dries matte but doesn't last through dinner, it does last longer if you drink through a straw and don't eat - so the perfect after dinner Saturday night lip.

My first Cargo lip gloss. I'm not a huge fan of lipglosses as they are sticky and way too glossy, they remind me of those makeup kits you got at Christmas when you were younger (great then, not so much now in my 20's). These ones aren't bad though, slightly sticky and slightly glossy but not unmanageable. The only good thing about sticky gloss is that it stays for ages! Cargo have worked out how to make it more long wearing and less hair sticking to your face in the wind. Cross between a red and berry the shade 'Paris' has become a daily favourite of mine. Usually I pair it with the ELF Matte Lip to darken it up, or on top of Berry Couture for a more intense colouring.

If you struggle with dark lipstick application try using a pencil/lip brush (or something small and precise) to line the lips and then fill in the lips with the product. If you end up outside the lip line just clean it up with a little concealer. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE NEWSLETTER

Get an email of every new post! We'll never share your address.

Popular Posts

RSS Feed